Commonly known as Yogurt Kefir due to its appearance, however, there are differences compared to the commonly known as yogurt. You know everything.
The yogurt Kefir, as well known for its similarities with the regular yogurt, it is a result of the fermentation of kefir (also known as the flower of yogurt) when added to the milk .
WHAT IS KEFIR?
Kefir is a colony of bacteria, known by the various benefits at the level of the human body, used for the production of a drink, commonly with the same name, which is the result of fermentation that occurred when this colony of bacteria is added to milk.
According to the degree of fermentation, the final product may have a texture similar to yogurt, and is therefore called yogurt kefir. It has a taste slightly sour and a aspect creamy.
Kefir is a probiotic, and as such, favors the intestinal health. There is already a sale to a colony of bacteria being that, in this case, you can add the milk to create a drink or something with the consistency of yogurt or you can still purchase your version of “yogurt”.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF YOGURT OF KEFIR?
There are many studies that prove the various benefits of Kefir in human organism:
- Promotes intestinal health and balance of the flora present.
- Prevents irregularities in bowel, particularly diarrhea.
- Relieves the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Prevents infections of the gastrointestinal and urinary tract.
- It is rich in vitamins and minerals.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A YOGURT KEFIR AND REGULAR YOGURT?
Have a lot in common, both have an acid taste, are originally produced from dairy products and have protein, calcium and vitamins. The kefir has a higher content of protein and fat, compared to a yogurt said traditional and, usually, its consistency is more liquid. The version of yogurt it is possible, however, the fermentation process takes more time and may be required by the addition of other compounds to create consistency.
Another difference also lies in the fact that the yogurt kefir contain greater diversity in terms of bacteria, having a higher content of probiotics, and more benefits at the level the intestinal.
The temperature at which fermentation takes place also differs: the kefir ferments at room temperature while yogurt requires high temperatures.
YOGURT KEFIR: WHERE TO BUY?
In addition to the stores of natural products, also can already find this type of yogurt in major commercial areas (such as the Jumbo hypermarkets or Continent or Lidl, for example).
Here’s what you have at your disposal:
- Auchan Bio (Kefir goat) – The Jumbo jet you have at your disposal yoghurt kefir brand of their own. You have the option Kefir goat, or kefir goat slim, and it costs 2,19€;
- So Natural – are for sale in various spaces, including in the Jumbo hypermarkets or Continent. You can choose between the version of natural, natural sugar, or strawberry. The price round the 1,80€.
- Pastoret (Kefir cow) – it Costs about 2€ and comes in packs of 500 grams.
- Milbona (Lidl) – is another of the options to the sale in large outlets. Cost less than 1€ each, and there are several flavors to choose from (blueberry, pineapple, cherry, orange are a few flavors available).
YOGURT KEFIR, HOMEMADE
If you prefer (or want to try) to make your own yogurt, here is the recipe for a yogurt kefir.
– Ingredients –
- 1 l of skimmed milk
- 4 c. tablespoon of kefir grains to milk
– Mode of preparation –
- Place the kefir grains in a glass jar and add the milk.
- Tape (only with the cover pousada on top of the jar) and set aside the bottle isolated from the direct sunlight. Let it ferment for 24 to 30 hours.
- At the end of this time, stir with a plastic scoop and then strain the kefir grains.
- Can aromatize with strawberry or other flavor to taste.
- Alternatively, you can use the iogurteira to prepare your yogurt, just follow the instructions of the equipment.
A RECIPE WITH YOGURT OF KEFIR
And of course I could not miss a hint of recipe to use your yogurt of kefir.
FRUIT SMOOTHIE WITH YOGURT OF KEFIR
The recipe is from the blog Little Vegetarian.
– Ingredients –
- 250ml yogurt kefir natural (1 cup milk + ¼ c. tablespoon of kefir grains)
- ½ Cups of frozen fruit (to taste)
- 1 2 c. tablespoon honey or agave nectar
- 2 c. tablespoon of flaxseed
- 2 dates, chopped
- 1 c. tablespoon hemp seeds (optional)
– Mode of preparation –
- Start by preparing the yogurt of kefir. To this amount, add 1 cup of milk with ¼ tablespoon of kefir grains and let it sit for 24 hours. At the end of that time strain the beans, and store in the refrigerator.
- After the smoothie. Mix all the ingredients in a blender and grind until you get the texture you want. Preferably use frozen fruit, to get a consistency more creamy.
Simple and delicious. What are you waiting for to try?!