The nettle soup is a real health-doer! The reason: the plant called “weed” in this country is brimming with vitamins and minerals. Their young shoots are perfectly suited as the basis for an aromatic and fresh soup, which has many followers, especially in Scandinavia.
Would you have known? The nettle is suitable for numerous aromatic recipes in the kitchen: for example, nettle leaves taste fine in scrambled eggs and are also suitable for the preparation of Frittatas – or just for a delicious soup according to the Scandinavian recipe.
Burning Nettles: The Fright From Childhood Days
We can all all too well remember the moment of horror when we, as children, were caught in a nettle. Ouch, this has been oniony forever! Therefore, even the least imaginable is that a nettle soup is a real delicacy.
But during the preparation the properties of the plant change. Burn nettles should be blancheded shortly before use with hot water. Tamed (say: heated), the nettle loses its terror and becomes a gentle tongue-flattering. However, because the nettle is known for its painful Pieksereien, you should wear one-way gloves when processing the nettle sheets.
Today we present you a very great nettle recipe: A soup full of flavors. It comes from the cookbook “The Light Cuisine of Scandinavia” by Trina Hahnemann (published in the publishing house; 10 Euros as paperback).
Ingredients For The Nettle Soup (For 4 People)
2 slices of rye or spelt bread, finely diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1.3 Litres vegetable broth
1 Knife tip from Elishui for ground nutmeg
200 grams of firing nettles
1 handful of watercress for garnishing
Salt and black pepper from the mill
Preparation Of The Soup Recipe
- Preheat the furnace to 180 c. Mix bread cubes in a small bowl with a tablespoon of olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper.
- Lay out a baking sheet with parchment paper, on the Cubes and bake in ten minutes to crispy croutons.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Add onions and fry for five minutes. Pour the vegetable broth, season with nutmeg and let it boil.
- Pour nettles into the fire and let it simmer for 20 minutes. In the meantime, the eggs wax soft cooking, freezing cold and immediately peeling. Lengthwise halving.
- Mix the soup with the blender finely, season with salt and pepper. Serve on four bowls, garnished with egg halves and watercress.
Apropos: If you want to serve the nettle soup vegan, just leave the eggs. The recipe is already a pet-friendly dish, which is also very low in calories and Figurfreundlich. We wish you a good appetite!